Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Griffin's Birth Story

I was due on October 6th. On September 24th I woke up at 3:20 am with cramping, didn't think much of it and got up and went to the bathroom, where I noticed some water leaking. The cramping kept coming so I decided to load a contraction app. I kept track of them and they were coming about every 5-7 minutes and lasting about a minute. I didn't want to be turned away at the hospital so decided to stick it out at home for as long as I could. Alan woke up and was looking at me like I was crazy and should go back to bed. I ended up taking a bath and pacing the floor until about 6:30 am. We made the short trip over to Mountain West Medical Center.


38 Weeks 2 Days - Right before we left for the hospital-needed a selfie


We were greeted by the nicest nurse Shauna. She hooked me up to the monitors and checked to see if my water had broken. The amnio test came back positive so I was able to be admitted for labor. I was only dilated to a 3 though. I labored for a little while then asked for an epidural. After an hour I was still feeling the contractions, the nurse knew that wasn't right so she called the anesthiologist back in to give me a bolus. However, the anesthiologist noticed that it was going into my blood vessels so that is why it wasn't working at all. By then it was around 11:30 am and I was dilated to a 7. I couldn't decide if I wanted to get another epidural or just keep going natural. I debated in mind for awhile then came to the conclusion that the worse was yet to come so bring on the drugs. It worked like a dream the second time. It was perfect I couldn't feel the contractions but yet still had control over my legs. So glad that I got it! Alan was making fun of me cause I was so chill!

Well I continued to progress the Dr. came in and broke my water and I pushed for about an hour and a half.

My doctor happened to be out of town that week so a doctor from St. Marks delivered him. It all worked out fine! 

Griffin Alan Hansen was born at 7:04 pm and weighed 6 lbs and 8 oz and 20.5 inches long.


They set him directly on my chest for skin to skin contact for about 10 minutes. Then took him to weigh and measure him. I love that the baby never leaves he room, they do all of that in the room.


Alan was such a great support as well as my mom. So encouraging and compassionate throughout it all.



What a sweet little miracle we are so blessed to have.



The nursing staff were amazing.
Alan helped me out together these thank yous for them.


No comments: