Thursday, February 19, 2009

My Lasik Experience

I am going to write a detailed version of my Lasik experience that was on Monday. Hopefully it is not too much of a bore.

I was way nervous leading up to my surgery. My blood pressure and pulse were skyrocketing! They started by giving me a Valium, which was probably a life saver! I was so grateful it was chewable, but I had my spoons in my purse ready to smash it up. Yeah I can't swallow pills. I am a baby!

They then proceeded to give me a few last minute exams to check my corneas and my prescription to make sure it hadn't changed since my last appointment with them. They then gave me some sweet booties and a hair net to wear. They then prepped my eyes with iodine or something. I sat nervously waiting my turn to go in the glass surrounded surgery room.

They finally called my name and I didn't know if I really wanted to do this, but I figured too late to chicken out now. I laid down and soon the doctor was there. The first part of the procedure is where they make the flap. They do it with a machine called an intralase (blade free). They suctioned my eye, and then my vision went completely black for a little bit. Then I heard a "pop" when they were done making a flap. While the doctor and nurse sat there casually talking about cheerleading I thought I was on my death bed! ha ha! Then on to the next eye. It was seriously like 5 seconds long and painless.

They then led me to a sweet massage chair where I sat for probably 20 minutes or so with my eyes closed. It was seriously heaven!

They then moved me to a recliner chair where I sat for a little while just chatting with Alan. They then put some more numbing drops in my eyes, drew on them with a marker (that was crazy)!

It was then time for the Lasik part. Honestly I really have no idea what happened here. It was hard to tell. Dr. Hoopes lifted the flap that was created, shot some lasers into it, washed it out, then put the flap back. Then repeated with the other eye. It was kind of scary when the actual laser was doing its work because it stunk so bad, like they were burning my eye!

That was it. Alan watched the whole thing, I don't think I could stomach it. I was glad I wasn't able to see the screens when the people before me were getting it done. The actual surgery was probably a minute or so, however, we were they for two hours with all the wait time in between.

They checked my eyes before I left, and I was good to go! My vision that day was foggy but yet I could tell that my focus was going to be amazing!

Sure enough I woke up the next morning able to read the alarm clock. These are the sweet goggles I get to sleep in! Not so comfortable!


I went for my Post-Op Appointment the next day and I was seeing 20/25. Pretty much amazing since before I couldn't even read the big E.

I seriously can't get over how amazing it is! I totally recommend Hoopes Vision to anyone who is interested in getting Lasik.

Thanks honey for making it all possible! As well has giving me the right eye drops at the right time! I am terrible at putting drops in my eyes! He was so good the first day putting drops in my eyes every ten minutes! Thanks babe! I love you!

4 comments:

Rostron Family said...

Katie, that is so cool.....icky; but, cool!! I am so happy for you!!

Al, I think you are the best! Seriously, you are a GOOD man!!

Kearsta said...

Katie, I am glad you stumbled on my blog. Congrats on being married! It is fun to catch up with people. I am glad things are going well for you. How does your hubby like law enforcement? My husband is a state trooper so we get alot of it at our house! Kearsta

Nicole said...

Glad that everything went so well. That is so great! I'm so happy for you.
The goggles are awesome!

Kenna said...

WOW what an experience! That is awesome, best of luck with the recovery.